Monday, December 13, 2010

Why don't you - give cheap & chic Christmas gift

People who know me would echo the sentiment that I am really hard to please. Most of the time, it is true. But it's only true because I am very specific and I know what I want, especially in terms of gift. I am a sucker for keeping images which I gather online just as a motivation and constantly hoping that "The Secret" miracle book is actually a proven theory (i.e. the more you wish for items that you constantly see and imagine everyday, the universe will conspire the energy so that you will soon get it..HOORAH!!).

Speaking of gifts, I have spent a good eight years abroad, in a land where capitalism rules and everybody seems to constantly do gift giving on every single occasion. The tradition kind of rubbed on me, but instead of just buying stuff off of the counter, I have learned to really give something with emotion. Something with purpose, and something that you know the recipient will appreciate.

Since I know most of us are probably on a budget, I have made some suggestions below, which are actually pretty basic with ingredients that are easy to find in Jakarta. Enjoy:

1. Fresh flower
We know ordering through florist is just a click away. But wouldn't it be fun and special if you could just create your own bouquet and send it personally? You don't really need to be a rocket scientist to arrange a bouquet. One to three type of flowers is enough, even I would love to receive baby's breath bouquet! Tips: go to Rawa Belong and Pasar Cikini to find the freshest flowers on a negotiated price :)



2. Gingerbread cookie
This is a super simple recipe from Queen Martha. All of the ingredients are easy to find in supermarket (I recommend Grand Lucky at SCBD area). On top of making your friends crazily happy with this cookies, you house will also smell lovely just like Christmas :)


(Click here for link to gingerbread cookie recipe)

3.Cocoa in a package
You can easily put together a mix hot chocolate and wrapped it in a super cute packaging to give to your friends. Served with marshmallow will guarantee you to be on top of everyone's heart.



(Click here for link to chocolate mix)

4. Stationery Kit
I can literally spend hours at bookstore. I can spend hours trying out pens, pencils, markers, buying crepe papers, tissue papers, ribbons and all of the stationery sets. Although this will be an unorthodox Christmas gift, I am sure everybody will love this out-of-the-box idea. You can even give a packaged of empty christmas cards! Now who wants to give me calligraphy pens?


5. Personalized Christmas greeting
I love love love personalized card. One of my bestfriends is super talented in crafting greeting card, I literally get teary eyed when I read it (I am a sentimental duck). You could literally go wild on this one..from traditional paper greeting card, to YouTube Christmas greeting! One request though, please omit from uploading pictures and tagging everyone on facebook...it is kind of lame-o!

When you are tight on budget, the above ideas can serve as options...it is the thought that counts!

No comments:

Post a Comment