Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Betty-themed Saturday

Lovely readers, introducing our second guest blogger here in One Queen's Lane, Lisette Tatou. I would say that Lis is one cute kitten! She's one of those people who has a really strong opinion about anything. Her most common statement would be: "THIS is the most delicious breakfast in the whole wide world". The next morning, she could be saying the same statement to another joint. Awww, whacky Lis!

So here goes:
(By the way, naughty Marie forgot to post this blog last Saturday... sorry!)


This Saturday was a pretty interesting one...not because I had an exciting event planned but actually the total opposite. I absolutely had nothing to do; except early morning run, cleaning up the house, meeting my husband's cousins and aunt for lunch and a graphic designer for my up and coming website (not for me, but for my cufflinks store. I am not that self indulgent) until about 4.30 PM. Yeah...I considered that as a very-relaxing-absolutely-nothing-to-do Saturday. Anyways...the day turned into somewhat more interesting as it became a Betty-themed-Saturday.

After the meeting, we went to this upscale Jakarta supermarket to buy some stuff for dinner. I promised my husband a 3 course meal valentine dinner with apple pie as the dessert (aww...). However, I had to cancel that menu coz they don't sell 9-inch round baking pan. Oh how I miss Pillsbury frozen crust or Pillsbury anything for that matter... So I had to execute plan B; bake him giant cookies...I already saved Nigela Lawson's best chocolate chip cookies recipe in my blackberry and so hyped to try it out. Much to my dismay, they didn't even sell chocolate chips! So, once again, my good friend, Betty saved the day. The giant cookies turned out to be excellent, as usual, except it being a bit too soft because I changed the vegetable oil to olive oil (hey...I am trying to be more health concious here and olive is a vegetable too, right?).

So, after dinner, we watched Ugly Betty season 4 and I must say..she's getting prettier and slimmer by the season! And I can't belive I am saying this but I actually don't mind wearing her wardrobe now. In that episode, as always, Betty tries to write an article about a woman who volunteers to save Africa instead of "The most comfortable heels this season" as assigned. For once, instead of despising her guts, I actually feel inspired and envious of her. Look at her...she works at mode (aka Vogue) as a fashion editor, wearing hideous clothes (not this season tho) but still strives for what she believes in. And look at shallow me...I feel depressed everyday when looking into my 4-meter-wide-full-of-2-and-3-seasons-ago-Zara-and-Mango-dresses wardrobe. I should be more like Betty! Who cares about what people think of what I am wearing when I have my brain! Thanks for inspiring me Ms. Suarez! Now, finally...I feel much better after my sister's comment "you are not as fashionable as you are used to be" 2 days ago.

After feeling so comfortable and confident in my own skin, thanks to Betty Suarez, I continued on watching the next DVD "The September Issue"; the story about Anna Wintour, the editor in chief of US Vogue preparing for Vogue's September issue; the longest, largest, and most popular issue of the year . 30 minutes into the movie, I am back to my shallow self, wanting Anna's, Wilhelmina's, and Amanda's wardrobe once again. So much for ugly Betty's inspiring life...

No comments:

Post a Comment